CAIRO (AP) — The son of Egypt’s former president said on Tuesday that he and his family members were innocent of corruption charges brought before international courts following the country’s 2011 popular uprising.
His statements came after years of attempts by the deposed president’s family to rehabilitate his image as they faced litigation in Egypt and abroad.
In a video statement posted online, Gamal Mubarak, the son of former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, said recent court rulings in the European Union and elsewhere demonstrate their innocence, but did not explain how the family had amassed his vast wealth.
In February, a massive leak of Credit Suisse customer information showed that Gamal Mubarak and his brother, Alaa, had held at least $197.5 million in the bank at one point.
“The facts are now established and the false allegations have been unequivocally refuted. The historical record has therefore been independently and judicially corrected,” he said in a video statement posted to YouTube. He blamed the Egyptian judicial authorities for taking the case to international tribunals.
The 2011 protests were based on calls to end deep-rooted embezzlement and government corruption in Egypt, and growing fears that Gamal Mubarak was being put in place to succeed his father, who was in power. power for nearly 30 years. The international anti-corruption group Transparency International estimated that as president, Mubarak stole some $70 billion in public funds. The former president died in 2020, aged 91.
In April, Swiss prosecutors decided not to press charges after concluding a decade-long investigation into allegations of money laundering and organized crime linked to Mubarak circles in Egypt. They also said they would release some 400 million Swiss francs – $430 million – frozen in Swiss banks.
In the same month, the General Court of the European Union ruled that the rights of Mubarak’s wife, his two sons and their wives had been violated during a local Egyptian investigation into his assets, on which leaned against the parquet floor. The decision meant EU sanctions on the Mubarak accounts were deemed illegal and lifted. Gamal Mubarak said his family was being reimbursed for legal costs related to the case.
Transparency International condemned the move, saying it would show corrupt leaders around the world that they can act with impunity.
The EU and Swiss investigations were part of a series of legal proceedings against the Mubarak following the mass protests. The father and two sons were first arrested in April 2011, two months after the uprising forced Mubarak to resign as part of the Arab Spring protest movement. A prominent military council was created in its place, which later gave way to divisive Islamist President Mohamed Morsy after the 2012 elections. Morsy was later removed by the military amid more popular protests.
After a lengthy trial, Hosni Mubarak was acquitted of murdering protesters during the 18-day uprising against his autocratic rule.
The two sons and their father were sentenced to three years in prison following their conviction for embezzlement of funds intended for the restoration and maintenance of presidential palaces, using the money to modernize their private residences. The sons were released in 2015 for their sentence, while Mubarak was freed in 2017. The trio repaid the state for the money they embezzled.
The sons were briefly detained in September 2018 pending trial on stock market manipulation charges. But they were released on bail of 100,000 pounds ($5,600) each after an appeals court granted a motion by their defense lawyers to remove the judge who ordered their detention, and in 2020, they were acquitted.
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.